Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Amitav Ghosh - Guernica



cocoon my friend Ashley Zelinksie made last year....I want to make some sort of swing in my yard when i get back from epic road trip and high school reunion to montana.


Guernica interview with AMITAV GHOSH

-anthropology is useful for writing

-he calls Updike "pathetic" and a racist (when talking about his novel Terrorist ...an affront to my sensibilities as a writer


on reading One Hundred Years of Solitude:

"When you’re living in this very tiny place, [with] a thousand people or something, your temptation is to think of it as being outside the flow of history. In reading Marquez you begin to think of all the ways in which the whole world is visible in the microcosm of this one small place, like Marquez’s Macondo."

on VS Naipal:
"His representations of India, his representations of Islam. I think very often they’re just mistaken. They’re just in fact a sort of perverse kind of autobiography rather than representations of what he sees. But the thing that I respect about Naipaul is that he was struggling with something. He was struggling with something that he was trying to do truthfully, pushing himself. He was never doing what’s comfortable, or what’s easy. He was always pushing himself."

Thinking of a summer reading list......

starting with Run, Rabbit, Run by Updike



take-away tactic for my writing:
listening to other people more, open up my experience of listening to hear other people in new ways